[Tinkerphones] eelo - LineageOS-based alternative smartphone OS

Pičugins Arsenijs crimier at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 9 15:07:14 CET 2018

>>  I hope they consider working with existing libre and/or ethical hardware
>>  vendors before starting something from scratch.
>
> Yes, I also hope that all such projects would do research and find us
> and ask for experiences before starting and announcing a new project...
>
> But that never happens. Well, the NIH-syndrome is everywhere - and I admit
> that I suffer it as well :)

Well, I've started a similar project, and I did do my research, and I did
find you - I just never asked questions =) I've been folowing this ML from
February 2017, and reading about Openmoko history from about the
same time - till now. Internet (including mailing lists' archives) still
contains a lot of information, and most of it I don't have to ask
anybody for - it's just more efficient, I don't have to bother anybody
and ask people to retell things that I can find on forums or in the
mailing list history.

+ one more reason for why nobody comes to ask is that,
ultimately, projects make different decisions. For example,
I'm working on ZeroPhone - a phone that doesn't even have a
touchscreen display, and is a kludge compared to a
proper single-PCB phone base. However, its hardware is
optimized so that its parts can be sourced independently,
and the phone then can be assembled manually. It also
leverages the Raspberry Pi popularity&hardware support
+ uses Raspbian Linux as a base, so that its hardware and
software is more familiar to people using it.

So, it's not that similar to Freerunner phones in terms of
hardware, it won't run the same graphical applications
and it, likely, won't be assembled in Europe. It has
different goals - self-assembly option, for example,
as well as giving access to the same Linux distro
that Raspberry Pi enthusiasts are used to. As a
drawback, it is pretty thick (and I can only shave
off so much thickness off it by switching to pouch cells),
and the battery life is not as good (20h on one charge).
Nevertheless, it's an interesting experiment that other
people are interested in, and it tries to approach open
phones from a different angle. I'm working on it full-time
now - as I'm preparing the hardware, software and the
whole project for crowdfunding a manufacturing run
of ZeroPhone kits (which is long overdue, but I have
to balance the project with part-time jobs, too).

So, some things from Openmoko history apply to my
project, and I hope that what I've learned is what's there
to be learned. By the way, if there's something valuable
I've found that I'd like to re-use, it's FreeSmartphone API
I understand just how valuable it is to have a good API
for app developers, and FSO seems to be a well-defined
standard to follow.

I might not have learned everything, though - that's the
problem with never asking, undoubtedly. If there's
anything important that I haven't found or noticed, I'd
love to hear about it. + sorry for this wall of text, I'm
in a rush and might have missed some important point,
or worded something the wrong way. =)

Happy New Year to you all, too!
Arsenijs.