[Tinkerphones] eelo - LineageOS-based alternative smartphone OS

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 8 18:31:17 CET 2018

Hi,

> Am 08.01.2018 um 18:11 schrieb David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 19:40:17 +0100, Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately only software, where as I think free hardware would
>> be more important these days. Still, I always had a sweet spot for
>> Mandrake, so let?s see what comes out of it.
>
> From my brief coffee-fuelled glance at the main site, it seems that hardware
> is something they want to do, but at a later stage. It looks like they are
> starting with custom ROMs for existing phones and moving into hardware in
> their second year.

Most likely they will finally find that developing hardware is many factors
more complex than software. Such projects usually say this in the beginning
to attract more people to the software, but finally they drop the target.

> I hope they consider working with existing libre and/or ethical hardware
> vendors before starting something from scratch.

Yes, I also hope that all such projects would do research and find us
and ask for experiences before starting and announcing a new project...

But that never happens. Well, the NIH-syndrome is everywhere - and I admit
that I suffer it as well :)

>> P.S. Happy New Year!
>
> Happy New Year!

Same to you,