[Tinkerphones] PocketBeagle and Letux OS

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Sep 29 07:07:35 CEST 2017

Hi David,

> Am 29.09.2017 um 01:26 schrieb David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 15:56:32 +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> I have received a handful of PocketBeagles and did
>> start one - with the original SD card from our Letux Cortex 8
>> board. And it boots and works fine :)
>>
>> Amazing.
>
> Nice. This page looks like it describes how to build a kernel specifically
> for the board:
>
> https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PocketBeagle

yes, the Letux-Kernel is not the only option.

But perhaps the only one that wants to get rid of the "specifically for the board"
which is already common for the desktop but not in embedded...

I think in the past, with processors with scarce memory, it was necessary
to tailor a kernel to the board. But with fast SD cards and processors,
Device Tree and loadable kernel modules this can be moved to run-time which
is the Letux-OS philosophy (one image for all devices giving a uniform user
space).

>> So we have some PocketBeagles in our shop. Although it
>> is not a phone (at least without adding a modem, speakers
>> and a battery, maybe a display), buying one helps a little
>> to keep this tinkerphones community and the Letux-OS project
>> alive :)
>
> I was already looking at USB plug computers so this is an interesting
> development.
>
> I may well order one at some point depending on currency exchange rates and
> shipping costs. The cost of shipping a board to the UK is around €40, which
> is OK, but if that means shipping a board to Norway would be around the same
> price then I will get screwed by customs/import charges.

Well, I think that import charges are just equivalent to the VAT as these
things don't have special import taxes and we can ship after removing the
German VAT.

> So it looks like either I will order a board to collect from the UK later or
> wait for a more favourable EUR->NOK exchange rate.

Ah, that comes in addition and has to be considered...