[Tinkerphones] GTA04 camera in VGA mode starts working

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 12 20:59:56 CEST 2017

Hi,
I have some progress to report.

We finally found what was missing to make the VGA mode basically
work: there are two undocumented registers (one called "RSVD")
where a bit has to be changed.

Otherwise the video ADC seems not to work in VGA mode.

Maybe some voltages or dividers or whatever are switched
inside the camera chip to compensate for the 30fps sampling
rate (SXGA has 15fps).

So, this is a big step forwards to completely support all
GTA04 hardware features.

There are still some things to be fixed. For example the picture
is shifted a little.

And for some unknown reasons we should program the camera
in VYUY mode and the OMAP3 in UYVY... Otherwise we get "yellow"
and "blue" swapped. I.e. a rainbow will show reversed colors :)
or a blue pen is yellow and a yellow one is blue.

And some filters should be enabled to improve image quality.

Otherwise the camera module works quite well now.

So stay tuned for updates for the kernel tree :)

Maybe someone also finds time to add a camera driver to
Replicant or QtMoko2...

PS: if you want to support this work (and it is in need...)
http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=Product&product=9602

And if you need a camera module for your GTA04:
http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=Product&product=3021