[Tinkerphones] Testers needed for upgrading your GTA04 to U-Boot 2016.11 + Letux-4.10.4 + Debian/LXDE 8.7

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 23 18:34:50 CET 2017

> Am 23.03.2017 um 18:23 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:17:19 +0100
>
>>> for is to have also e.g.
>>>
>>> PART=/dev/sdd3 ./makesd your_favorite_root_fs
>>
>> Yes, you can do that and even specify up to 4 rootfs for a single makesd command.
>> E.g. "makesd all" as described on
>>
>> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/page/Examples/
>>
> Replace a single system and do not reformat the others...
> Hmm, the example
>
> ./makesd —debug -v unstable pyra -f1 replicant
>

> *should* do such things. Replace a system on one partition with another and do not touch
> anything else? So I just have overlooked just that and it is already there...

Well, it does not skip partitioning and formatting.

It just allows to select which rootfs is going into which partition.

Maybe we should add an option to makesd?

It should:
* skip partitioning and formatting
* just mount existing partitions
* wipe out those which are selected by the -f option
* and load a new roots and optionally a kernel+modules+config-patches

Would really be a useful feature.

>> The problem is that we don't have enough good and maintained rootfs images
>> to be installed by makesd.
>>
>> * QtMoko isn't maintained and maintainable. So it is not kernel-compatible.
>
> Hmm, for supported systems it should be bundled with an old kernel and
> a bootscript.scp and it should run.

Yes, indeed that could work. If you can provide a working qtmoko.tbz for the
server we can update makesd to load and unpack it.

>> * AFAIR, Replicant needs some additional installation step.
>
> Well it is also just a tarball (for 4.3).
> For working with recent kernels, Replicant 4.3 needs
> 1. a kernel with android stuff and hw voice routing
>   either backport the voice routing stuff to 4.9.4 or
>   have 4.10 replicant compatible (which seems to be more than
>   just adding the patches from the android stuff.
> 2. configuration to use that hw voice routing
> 3. for newer modem firmwares: AT+CLVL and ignore AT_OPCMENABLE=1 ERROR
>
>> * LXDE and XFCE4 exist, but are not well configured to be used as a phone UI at all.
>
> We have illume / e17. That would be an alternative. I am using matchbox
> + fbpanel stuff most of the time.

Interesting!

Well, the makesd process of baking an sd card is already quite flexible.
So we just need to add some more keywords to the download database.

And put tarballs on the server...