[Tinkerphones] Testers needed for upgrading your GTA04 to U-Boot 2016.11 + Letux-4.10.4 + Debian/LXDE 8.7

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Mar 23 18:23:29 CET 2017

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:17:19 +0100

> > for is to have also e.g.
> >
> > PART=/dev/sdd3 ./makesd your_favorite_root_fs
>
> Yes, you can do that and even specify up to 4 rootfs for a single makesd command.
> E.g. "makesd all" as described on
>
> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/page/Examples/

Replace a single system and do not reformat the others...
Hmm, the example

./makesd —debug -v unstable pyra -f1 replicant

*should* do such things. Replace a system on one partition with another and do not touch
anything else? So I just have overlooked just that and it is already there...

> The problem is that we don't have enough good and maintained rootfs images
> to be installed by makesd.
>
> * QtMoko isn't maintained and maintainable. So it is not kernel-compatible.

Hmm, for supported systems it should be bundled with an old kernel and
a bootscript.scp and it should run.

> * AFAIR, Replicant needs some additional installation step.

Well it is also just a tarball (for 4.3).
For working with recent kernels, Replicant 4.3 needs
1. a kernel with android stuff and hw voice routing
   either backport the voice routing stuff to 4.9.4 or
   have 4.10 replicant compatible (which seems to be more than
   just adding the patches from the android stuff.
2. configuration to use that hw voice routing
3. for newer modem firmwares: AT+CLVL and ignore AT_OPCMENABLE=1 ERROR

> * LXDE and XFCE4 exist, but are not well configured to be used as a phone UI at all.

We have illume / e17. That would be an alternative. I am using matchbox
+ fbpanel stuff most of the time.

Regards,
Andreas