[Tinkerphones] default for Debian /etc/network/interfaces

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Feb 23 22:49:24 CET 2017

Hi Jonas,

> Am 23.02.2017 um 16:31 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 15:51:34)
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>>> Am 23.02.2017 um 14:33 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>>>
>>> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 13:58:23)

>>> I believe debootstrap does *not* create the file /etc/network/interfaces
>>> - like hosts.conf and a few other core files it need manual creation if
>>> not using debian-installer.
>>
>> Ah, ok. I see. Maybe I have to find out by experiment... It shouldn't be
>> difficult to debootstrap a new system on the GTA04 (I think I already have
>> a script for this).

Ok, I did run on the gta04:

mkdir /debian
debootstrap --arch armhf stretch /debian/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

and now I have:

root at letux:~# ls -l /debian/etc/network
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 23 21:00 if-down.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 30 13:32 if-post-down.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 30 13:32 if-pre-up.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 23 21:00 if-up.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  142 Feb 23 21:00 interfaces
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 30 13:32 interfaces.d
root at letux:~# cat /debian/etc/network/interfaces
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
root at letux:~#

So there is a fresh /e/n/i and /e/n/i.d created and it is set up to source
the /e/n/i.d

That is fine and like I hoped! So we can provide letux-usb0 or letux-eth0
network configs for single interfaces so that e.g. USB networking works
out of the box even if you have no GUI.

Next I will check if that is already a feature of Jessie or was introduced
in Stretch.