[Tinkerphones] default for Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Feb 23 16:31:53 CET 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 15:51:34)
> Hi Jonas,
>
> > Am 23.02.2017 um 14:33 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
> >
> > Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 13:58:23)
> >> Hi Jonas,
> >> despite the production issues I am working a little on improving
> >> our Debian default rootfs for the GTA04.
> >>
> >> I just found out recently that there is a rarely known capability
> >> to define /etc/network/interfaces.d/* files which can be sourced
> >> by the master /e/n/i.
> >>
> >> This would solve the issue that we do a hard overwrite of /e/n/i
> >> to configure the usb0 ethernet gadget and real ethernet on boards
> >> which have hardware (BeagleBoard XM, PandaBoard, OMAP5EVM) right
> >> after building the debootstrap.
> >>
> >> Instead, we could just add specific config files for the 2 or 3
> >> interfaces we have in our letux devices with low risk of overwriting
> >> anything else. And if they interfere they can easily be removed.
> >>
> >> But I could not find the default version of /e/n/i installed
> >> during debootstrap to check if it really sources the eni.d.
> >> Debian Packages search (on the web) shows no package where it is contained.
> >>
> >> So how is this file created during debootstrap?
> >
> > I believe debootstrap does *not* create the file /etc/network/interfaces
> > - like hosts.conf and a few other core files it need manual creation if
> > not using debian-installer.
>
> Ah, ok. I see. Maybe I have to find out by experiment... It shouldn't be
> difficult to debootstrap a new system on the GTA04 (I think I already have
> a script for this).
>

> > Also, I believe that file is only used for _some_ networking frameworks.
> >
> >  * ifupdown: uses /e/n/i and /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.d
> >  * network-manager: briefly checks /e/n/i for interfaces to ignore.
> >  * connman: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
> >  * systemd-networkd: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
> >  * ifupdown2: probably uses /e/n/i - claims to replace ifupdown...
> >  * netscript-2.4: not sure - claims to replace ifupdown...
> >  * wicd: not sure...
> >  * waagent: irrelevant for phones...
>
> Interesting.
>

> > ifupdown was used by default in the past, but no more.
>
> Well, it looks as if the easy-to-understand packages and functions
> are becoming more and more obsolete... The downside of all the
> new functions is that they may be better but are worse documented
> by google search... I.e. you find a lot of examples for the old
> things but rarely a howto or example for the new ones.
>
> And my main goal is to get a simple working setup which does not
> make too many assumptions about GUI capabilities of the device (I
> am quite sure that e.g. wicd can't be operated on the small touch
> screen).
>
> Many thanks for this background info! Let's see what to make out
> of it.

debootstrap is the old tool.  What is used in debian installer is
cdebootstrap which is slightly different.  Another alternative is
multistrap (which is what I use currently when not debian installer).
What either of these three tools do since many years is unpack a range
of core packages and execute their postinst scripts. debian installer
(or the gazilion unofficial hacks including your own) then after the
core bootstrapping as a minimum adds a range of files not managed by any
package.

Multistrap mentions that at least(!) these files need custom care:

/etc/inittab
/etc/fstab
/etc/hosts
/etc/securetty
/etc/modules
/etc/hostname
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/init.d
/etc/dhcp3

That info might be outdated - but it's a start :-)

 - Jonas