[Tinkerphones] default for Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Feb 23 14:33:33 CET 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-23 13:58:23)
> Hi Jonas,
> despite the production issues I am working a little on improving
> our Debian default rootfs for the GTA04.
>
> I just found out recently that there is a rarely known capability
> to define /etc/network/interfaces.d/* files which can be sourced
> by the master /e/n/i.
>
> This would solve the issue that we do a hard overwrite of /e/n/i
> to configure the usb0 ethernet gadget and real ethernet on boards
> which have hardware (BeagleBoard XM, PandaBoard, OMAP5EVM) right
> after building the debootstrap.
>
> Instead, we could just add specific config files for the 2 or 3
> interfaces we have in our letux devices with low risk of overwriting
> anything else. And if they interfere they can easily be removed.
>
> But I could not find the default version of /e/n/i installed
> during debootstrap to check if it really sources the eni.d.
> Debian Packages search (on the web) shows no package where it is contained.
>
> So how is this file created during debootstrap?

I believe debootstrap does *not* create the file /etc/network/interfaces
- like hosts.conf and a few other core files it need manual creation if
not using debian-installer.

Also, I believe that file is only used for _some_ networking frameworks.

  * ifupdown: uses /e/n/i and /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.d
  * network-manager: briefly checks /e/n/i for interfaces to ignore.
  * connman: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
  * systemd-networkd: possibly ignores /e/n/i completely
  * ifupdown2: probably uses /e/n/i - claims to replace ifupdown...
  * netscript-2.4: not sure - claims to replace ifupdown...
  * wicd: not sure...
  * waagent: irrelevant for phones...

ifupdown was used by default in the past, but no more.

 - Jonas