[Tinkerphones] GTA04A5: good news and bad news

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Feb 23 07:36:05 CET 2017

Hi Boudewijn,

> Am 22.02.2017 um 23:55 schrieb Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com>:
>
> On woensdag 22 februari 2017 17:08:52 CET Paul Boddie wrote:
>> On Wednesday 22. February 2017 15.49.53 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>> Sadly, this also makes it really the last GTA04 batch which will
>>> ever be built (making these GTA04A5 boards rare collectibles).
>
> All of the series were/are.
>
>>> Unless someone spends us enough money to make more experiments
>>> with OMAP3 PoP soldering.
>>
>> Sorry to hear this particularly bad news!
>
> It's really sad!

especially as I (and that company) had invested numerous hours to
identify the issues, think about measures and improvements of the
production process we have at hand. We also have studied all materials
and documents that are available, e.g. application notes by Texas
Instruments which explain the warpage effect which we could see in X-Ray.

It feels like a soccer team trying to win champion's league, but all
training didn't make us good enough and we are sent home with 30%
goals, but it was still not enough...

> I can't look without tears and some dread at the growing
> thread.
>
> Good luck with the Pyra, which can double (in functions and in thickness) as
> an phablet and leaves an upgrade path for open source telephony :-)

It is much easier to produce such a thing from a technology point of view
since there is no PoP involved.

> And of course good luck with the 24 still born mother boards!

Thanks! Yes, we have working boards. Just not enough from the money and
time we invested. By investing a little more time we hope to be able to
repair some more.