[Tinkerphones] GTA04A5: good news and bad news

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Feb 23 00:27:12 CET 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-02-22 17:55:30)
> Am 22.02.2017 um 17:08 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>> Personally, I think some flexibility about the SoC would be
>> acceptable for Neo900, but I'm not invested in Maemo at all and have
>> backed that project because of the form factor, open hardware
>> aspects, and Free Software support.
>
> Me too. The issue is what the alternatives really are. Due to space
> constraints it must be small chips. And PoP is the technology of first
> choice. Not many hacker friendly ARM SoC are available as PoP.
>
> Snapdragon: would be fine, but unobtainable in small quantities.
> Mediatek: afaik the same
> RockChip: I don't know if they have PoP mobile chips
> Allwinner: AFAIK no PoP and not power optimized for mobile operation
> Apple A10: unobtainable
> Exynos: AFAIK not well supported
>
> So TI did alway have the best support for the open/free soft/hardware
> community (except the IMG PVR SGX). Hence the DM3730 would still be a
> very good choice.

What numbers are "power optimized for mobile operation"?

Relatively recent power reduction experiments for Allwinner H3 boards:
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1614-running-h3-boards-with-minimal-consumption/

Even if the numbers for H3 boards are way off, the methods used might
still be interesting.

 - Jonas