[Community] GTA04A5 RAM + NAND size

Chris Dellin cdellin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:01:20 CET 2015

Hi Nikolaus, thanks for all your work on the GTA04 project!

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>
wrote:

> So we have to trade off between risk and having a working system installed
> when you want to test your motherboard exchange results.
>
> I guess everyone has his/her own preferences so that I would like to learn
> a little
> about your opinions before we decide.

I definitely understand the increased risks to using the chip with 1GB
RAM.  However, in my opinion (as a recent GTA04A5 buyer) the improved
performance from doubling the RAM is very significant, relative to the
decreased NAND size (since most users will have a uSD anyway -- the NAND
distro can be very stripped down, as a fallback).  I think that potential
gain warrants some effort estimating how difficult it will be to overcome
the issues you noted (i.e. bootstrapping testing, U-Boot, etc), even if it
means a delay in shipping the product.

This is especially the case since you found the unused GTA04A4 boards which
are now on sale.  One of the reasons why I opted for an A5 over the A4s
that are now available was the hope to get the 1GB RAM.

Of course, if switching chips does indeed prove to be too difficult, it
should surely not halt the project!

Thanks,
- Chris