[Community] RDS-TMC traffic data

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jan 28 08:26:55 CET 2014

Am 28.01.2014 um 08:08 schrieb Christoph Mair:

> Am 28.01.2014 08:02 schrieb "Christ van Willegen" <cvwillegen at gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Ryan de Laplante
> > <ryan at ryandelaplante.com> wrote:
> > > I did a preliminary investigation and it it seems that a single company sells
> > > traffic data to all of the navigation system providers who then resell it as a
> > > subscription service:
> >
> > IIRC the radio chip in the GTA04 is able to receive RDS/TMC as-is?

Yes. It is a Si4721 from Silicon Labs.

It can even transmit RDS.
> > Don't know how that data ia propagated, though...
>
> Yes, the chip supports RDS. IIRC the decoded data can be read from some internal registers

IMHO, Kernel driver support is weak. But that may have changed since last time I studied this topic (still back in 2.6 times).
> but I'm not sure what happens if the data is encrypted

Well, it will arrive encrypted and some user-space daemon must be able to decrpyt.
That is what software is good for :)