[Community] OpenPhoenux and Open Hardware - some thoughts...

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Thu Jan 23 23:07:40 CET 2014

Hi all,

I believe the Neo900 project has already created some of the spirit
that the community was looking for in this old email chain, but I would
like to take this up again to see whether we can boost it even more.

This is the new product category in my opinion:
     We are the first to do Smartphone right!

With what has been done by the community we have - if we are not doing
it already - the opportunity to build the perfect phone with reasonable
extra effort.

GTA04 and Neo900 are or have the potential to be:
      (Also taking up some of the responses to the email of Nikolaus
below)

secure (as in privacy)
fairly produced (manufactured with handsome German wages)
environmentally friendly (CO2, waste)
healthy (we can probably get more information on materials used)
reliable
trustworthy (community controlled)

Many people are longing for such a phone.

What we already do with the Neo900 is perfectly right: We create a
ready-to-use tool for users that are not technically interested and also
offer the perfect toy for the technically interested people. (Sorry for
writing always 'we' in my first post - I hope you don't feel it's
offensive)

The natural supplement of such a phone is a privacy-respecting und
community-lead ecosystem that is different from the existing ecosystems
where you are spied like nothing else. From my point of view this is
currently the killer application for which the internet avantgarde is
waiting. We can try to connect to the respective communities and
projects like: fdroid, diaspora* (or even better social networks),
pump.io , leap.se, a functional web proxy, a secure email provider, and
some secure VoIP and whatsapp alternatives and integrate it in the
standard software installation of the phone. Of course, with the still
necessary warnings to empower normal users to make an informed choice.

What do you think. Do these aspects sound interesting?

BR
Oliver