[Community] Supply chain information

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Sun Feb 16 23:41:51 CET 2014

Hi,

For all non-German native speakers: "Nager" means "rodent" in German
and Nager IT is a company that created some buzz in Germany by offering
a partly fair computer mouse. Partly fair is - although precise - some
understatement because they tried hard to purchase all parts fair but
have encountered major difficulties for some. Before they will have
their international break-through among well-meaning fair trade
enthusiasts they will probably have to change their name to a less
offensive one.

Besides, I don't think Apple is heading the fair trade movement now. In
addition to their shortcomings already mentioned in this mailing list
they are only obeying to US legislation as new as the 2010 Dodd-Frank
act. Conflict minerals are most probably avoided by Apple and Samsung by
buying from Australian miners. Fairphone is going another path because
the Dodd-Frank act and its enforcement by the SEC have let to a quasi
embargo of all miners in Congo and not only the mines controlled by war
lords. Fairphone is working closely with NGOs that help conflict-free
miners of Congo to improve their conditions. Although they cannot
exclude child labor completely that looks like a good step towards
transforming the supply-chain of mobile phones into a humane community.

Best regards,

Oliver