[Community] Good bye Fairphone? Apple appears to have again absorbed an innovation / differentiator.

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 22:58:59 CET 2014

On Thursday 13 February 2014 16:16:57 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/13/suppliers-do-not-use-conflict-mineral/
>
> It looks (at least on their claims) as if Apple is taking over all arguments
> that Fairphone is addressing and doing at least the same. And Samsung and
> other Android devices will/have to follow IMHO soon.
>
> What do you think - is this the end of "the Fairphone idea" as being
> something better than the main stream? Or is there still space for a
> Fairphone in the future?

I take it with mixed feelings. It is great news that with just one or two
batches of phones, Fairphone reached is goal of manufacturers denouncing
conflict ingredients! Fairphone and "the people" have won here.

On the other hand, those two batches were produced, as far as I know, under
"regular" working circumstances in microelectronics. Now that one important
ingredient is neutralized, "fair" is a smaller proposition compared to the
other manufacturers, while the price/feature difference stays quite large.

The bottom line, as kero states, it's a battle, not the war.

(Pity for Fairphone they have not patented "using fair ingredients in the
construction of a mobile communications device", I mean, it is not as if
ideals should be any less patentable than software...)

Boudewijn