[Community] We got a cool community. What do?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 30 22:14:53 CEST 2014

Hi,
I wonder a little why there are so low number of comments...

Am 30.04.2014 um 21:57 schrieb wonderphone at posteo.de:

> Goal: "Provide a complete community driven and independently developed hardware, software and services platform for portable operation" (The manifest)
>
> While some important components, hardware and OS development, guerrilla marketing, etc. are progressing well, I see two related questions coming up:
>
> Which of the community goals can be better reached by new additional activities?
> - like additional fundraising?

yes, more funds are always needed!

> - later maybe the setup of a help desk or help line?
> - the friendika server?

well, that one is already in the plans but was not yet configured: http://friendica.openphoenux.org
Do we have some expert who already has configured such a system?

> - ...?
>
> Where is the biggest need for additional (wo)manpower right now?
> - testing of power management of devices?

Well, before doing testing, we need new potential solutions.

Fortunately we know some: e.g. hardware changes planned for GTA04A5 (neo900 and pyra-handheld will have different hardware anyways)
And, Neil has the theory that the USB3322 chip and the EHCI interface are not cooperating during suspend. That would need someone to really try hard to verify/disprove the theory.

But it is quite usual for open source and community projects not to reach 100% perfection, because that last bug is really tedious and inventing something completely different is more satisfying. So I don't expect that to improve fast.

> - enhancements to webpage?

yes, that would be welcome!

Maybe one could think about sorting and regrouping content and another one about a nice and well readable web design. Maybe a toolkit like the one used by neo900.org could simplify that web programming part.

> - legal advice?

I think this is low priority (if at all)

> ... or any task where the person doing it right now kind of feels like fighting alone?

Generally the most important thing from my perspective is to fix the device tree bugs of the 3.15-rc3 kernel so that starting from 3.16 we can focus on power management instead of re-implementing things that already did work in 3.7 kernel (or even in 2.6.32).

Thanks for raising these questions!