[Community] New about openphonux production

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 26 15:03:36 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 26.11.2013 um 14:51 schrieb J.V. King:

> Just wondering, didn't the Motorola RAZR i (Motorola XT890), which came out a little over a year ago, have an Intel compatible SoC for smartphones ?  Or was that not considered "low-power" ?  I'm not trying to debate the comments here, but I do remember following the RAZR i when it first came out, as it seemed like (if you could unlock the bootloader) it would be the IDEAL phone to install practically any computer OS on (as opposed to ARM, which many desktop distros aren't ported to yet, and may never be).  Anyway, I'm not criticizing anyone here (as you are all doing a GREAT job with the GTA04 and Neo900), but I did want to mention this phone, in case nobody has heard of it yet.  :-)

Yes, you are right.

According to some specs I found [1] it uses:

Intel Atom Z2460, 2 GHz, PowerVR SGX540

Wikipedia has a little background info on that Atom [2], although it says the RAZR i has an Z2480 inside.
Here is what Intel says: [3].

Unfortunately there isn't much information, i.e. no data sheets, reference manuals etc. online available to the public.
And it appears not to be easy to buy such chips unless one already has a long-term relationship with Intel.

If I look back to the first announcements [4], it appears that they have not yet gained much ground against ARM based phones.

[1]: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_i_xt890-4998.php
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(system_on_chip)
[3]: http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/ces/2012/pdfs/AtomprocessorZ2460.pdf
[4]: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/can-intel-take-the-smartphone-fight-to-arm-1053718