[Community] Growing the Community

kardan kardan at riseup.net
Tue Jun 18 23:36:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

1) ready to use at buy time +1

2) I think we as developers are used to updates, debian users as well,
windows users even more and as far as I can see usual (closed source)
phone apps deliver new version more often also.
Traditionally we think of updates as security fixes. Why not spreading
the term of usability improvements for updates (of course there need to
be some first :)
Internet access is more and more available for phone users, so it's not
a problem to use them for updates. As a debian user I trust the apt
tools and would even allow them to run automatically (this is not true
for ubuntu where updates broke anything a lot of times). The software
should be clever to search for available wifi nets and use them in my
eyes. As long as the user cared for security and encrypted connection
for checking mails, browsing etc., there should be no problem in using
potentially sniffed nets (as we all know nearly the whole internet is
sniffed in some way).

> If it is distributed on SD card you can even choose between an old
> image and a new image without damaging anything. So IMHO it is not
> even a contradiction...
That is a nice feature. One could order a simcard for the GTA02 with
latest qtmoko and useful 'apps' from you then.

> This is why the http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/ has been
> organized as an archive. The plan is to never delete images so that
> you can always restore to the one that was delivered.
I like the debian approach for backports. As I understand it, the
version can change, but not the package name stays. In that way you
can offer security fixes and (hopefully one day) usability upgrades
that persist for decades.

> But if you expect software in a quality that it is bug free and nobody
> finds a significant bug within 10 years, it needs a completely
> different development process compared to communites, open source and
> git...
For me this is not true. But it's nice to go to the jungle with OM in a
a pocket, a solar panel on my hat with the confidence, it
will work for the rest of my life.

> The latter are based on the assumption "if we introduce a regression,
> you can fix it in the next release in 4 weeks or fork your own
> distro".
As long as developers are responsive and care, this is no issue IMHO.
When users are delivered with good a README or a C CRASHCOURSE FOR
BASIC DEBUGGING AND ERROR FIXING etc. I expect the community to grow
rapidly.

> We would need development processes like in aviation industries. And,
> even on deep space missions they can field upgrade the software (e.g.
> Voyager communication technology was improved in data rate over
> the years by software upgrades).
>
> So I think it is a nice dream, but do we need such a high goal to
> give a significant contribution to freedom of mankind? Or do we need
> to be better than all the other devices out there? And can we achieve
> this at all?
We need updates and testers as a basic to keep the GTA02 alive.
http://download.goldelico.com/gta02

http://qtmoko.org/ seems to be spam now :(

> That's not exactly true. Each project has it's issue tracker, which is
> used in a more or less frequent way:
>
> QtMoko: https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/issues
> Replicant: http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/issues
> SHR: http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/report/1
> FSO: http://trac.freesmartphone.org/report/1
The best news since years, that is xmas. Thanks! :)
Cloning big repositories with a slow connection is pain, but there is a
comfortable solution i just found out to package it first:
http://bundler.caurea.org/bundle/51c066fe9a23a56a7800002f
The certificate is not issued for this domain though.

Tizen looks interesting as well. Did anybody test it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen
As it is derived from maemo which went away from debian using rpm, some
say it is more a big player game "supported by leading mobile
operators, device manufacturers, and chip suppliers for multiple device
categories, including smartphones, tablets, netbooks, in-vehicle
infotainment devices, and smart TVs" [1] (LinuxFoundation, Samsung,
Intel, LiMo - " a consortium of companies including Panasonic Mobile
Communications, NTT DoCoMo and SK Telecom, among others", [2]).

Kardan

[1]
https://www.tizen.org/blogs/tsg/2013/tizen-2.1-sdk-and-source-code-release
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/2013/04/msg00048.html