[Community] About the status

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Sun Jun 9 00:01:28 CEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 21:39 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 08.06.2013 um 19:53 schrieb Bob Ham:

> How many Notebooks still have a slot for plugging and unplugging peripherals?

Many:

http://www.dabs.com/products/fujitsu-ah532-15-6--core-i5-3210m-4gb-320gb-usb3-hdmi--windows-8-hp-laptop-8C2C.html
http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t430-intel-core-i3-3110m-4gb-500gb-14--windows-7-pro-preload---windows-8-8PBJ.html
http://www.ebuyer.com/388761-hp-probook-6570b-laptop-b5v79aw-abu
http://www.misco.co.uk/product/205346/Dell-Latitude-E6530-i5-3340M-4GB-500GB-15-6inch-Windows-7-Professional-Laptop-Notebook-PC

> > As an EOMA user, I will be able to push a button on the side of my EOMA
> > tablet, eject the CPU, and then insert it into my EOMA desktop.  Or into
> > my EOMA laptop.
>
> Yes. But what is it good for?

There's an FAQ entry here that seems appropriate:

http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/EOMA-68/FAQ#OK.2C_but_why_do_you_want_EOMA_to_be_installed.2Fremoved_more_often_-_I_want_to_understand_why_granny_would_want_to_do_this.3F

> > PCMCIA had above ISA, Cardbus had above PCI, and ExpressCard has above
> > PCI-E, EOMA68 has above the GTA04 B2B connector.
>
> Eh? Sorry but I don't get it... EOMA is NOT PCMCIA. I.e. you can't plug it into
> an Sharp Zaurus or can you?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

EOMA68 is to GTA04 B2B, (roughly) as PCMCIA is to ISA.  The relationship
between PCMCIA and ISA is similar to the relationship between EOMA68 and
GTA04 B2B.

PCMCIA is a mechanical and electrical standard for pluggable modules.
EOMA68 is a mechanical and electrical standard for pluggable modules.

ISA was a standard for internal connection of expansion cards.  The
GTA04 B2B specification is for internal connection of the GTA04.

EOMA68 satisfies a different use case to the GTA04 B2B connector.

EOMA68 cards are meant to be plugged and unplugged by members of the
general public.  The end-user for the GTA04 B2B connector is an
electrical engineer or designer.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }