[Letux-kernel] [Kernel] Cellular network driver

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun May 29 19:04:32 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Am 29.05.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin at fastmail.com>:
>
> How is it going with subj?
>
> Is there something already?

Yes. Everything we need (that is the experience we bring in from the Openmoko/GTA04 projects).

> Is there a convention of external interface for such drivers (i.e. which
> API it should provide to userspace)? I guess looking at Android kernel
> trees would give me some hint, or is there a different situation?
>
> I'm experienced with VoIP and Asterisk, so I wonder how would
> telephony stack for Pyra look like.

Current kernel simply uses

	rfkill unblock wwan

to turn it on (there is a misc/wwan.c driver - but difficult to upstream because it probably violates unwritten DT style guides).

Then, USB enumerates and several /dev/ttyACM appear.
You can use them for AT commands.

Network events (incoming calls and SMS and status changes) generate a button press (gpio-button) which can wake up the A15 cores.

Nothing else required (unless we want to use the UART interface).

There are simple shell scripts to provide these functions incl. a GPS demo:
* http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/wwan-on;h=e2183c726c43a46a0cd01a0e0fdca7ddfe42f101;hb=refs/heads/letux-4.6
* http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/wwan-status;h=1388ceadf8cd78dbf9bcf3149102181197fa491b;hb=refs/heads/letux-4.6
* http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/gps-on;h=e072d8f6ca9afe02ceb1363296d130a238bd3c34;hb=refs/heads/letux-4.6
* http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/dial;h=979e849e213fa6bcf5e8186350426f74439104c6;hb=refs/heads/letux-4.6

Real user space should use the fso-gsmd-gta04 package from Debian

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/misc/fso-gsmd-gta04

which might just need some minor tweaks (if Mickey Lauer has time).