[Letux-kernel] Request for tasks

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun May 29 13:32:34 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Am 29.05.2016 um 13:27 schrieb Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin at fastmail.com>:
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 07:33:07AM +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> I think for the sensors they are even public:
>>
>> https://ae-bst.resource.bosch.com/media/_tech/media/datasheets/BST-BMC150-DS000-04.pdf
>> https://ae-bst.resource.bosch.com/media/_tech/media/datasheets/BST-BMG160-DS000-09.pdf
>> https://ae-bst.resource.bosch.com/media/_tech/media/datasheets/BST-BME280_DS001-11.pdf
>> https://ae-bst.resource.bosch.com/media/_tech/media/datasheets/BST_BNO055_DS000_13.pdf
>>
>> There is a user-space driver for the BNO055 but some iio kernel driver would be better:
>> https://github.com/BoschSensortec/BNO055_driver
>
> Thanks for links.
> Really nice datasheets.

You are welcome :)

> BTW There is a ready kernal driver for BMG160:
> https://github.com/BoschSensortec/Linux_Kernel_Drivers/tree/master/drivers/input/misc/BMG160

Ah, yes.

> Would it be fine to just forward-port this driver, or something must be
> changed in interfaces?

I think it just needs to be tested/configured in DT if it does not work.
So this is a work package with real hardware in your hands...

> Making drivers for the chips listed above seems a good task for me, I
> will work on this.

Great!

BTW: the BME280 has two sensors in one and the BMP085 should be very similar.
AFAIR the BMC150 also has two chips inside (BMM150 and some BMA220). For the latter there is also a driver.

> I see the Sensortec drivers use I2C. Is it a way to go for Pyra board?

Yes.

> I.e. not SPI (which is also an option for those chips)?

No. Would have needed 4 wires to go around the board - and we do not need very high speed (polling frequency i s usually <10Hz).

> Just in case - do we have any contact with customer support people from
> BOSCH besides email contact at bosch-sensortec.com ?

Yes, I have a contact to the designer of the BNO055 chip but would have to ask first if he can support someone else.