[Gta04-owner] Android 3.0 kernel for GTA04

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Thu May 9 11:42:29 CEST 2013

Le jeudi 09 mai 2013 à 10:14 +0400, Alexander Rumyantsev a écrit :
> Hello
>
> 1) I would like to support Paul in his request. The problem discussed some times,
> but replicant team did not get any support on this way.
> My understanding a situation with Android/Replicant kernel is same as Paul has - we have not
> stable kernel. It is some kernel version, which recommended to different Android version:
> 2.6.35 - Gingerbread, 3.0.8 - ICS . So it is not good to follow latest version kernel
> from Android point of view as you suggest. ( However Denis is going this way now ).

We are now focusing on adding complete gta04 support to the Android 3.0
kernel. Only proper suspend/resume is missing.

> At moment I am trying to find which features from latest kernel versions is it possible to
> use with current used, Paul try go get working stage for 3.0 version.
> My opinion that all correction concerning GTA04 should be available not only for latest kernel
> version, but for some stable release. Pauls suggestion to work with 3.0 kernel is a good point.

Well, it was ported to several stable kernel revisions, 3.0 is just not
part of them. However I would appreciate some help from knowledgeable
people to complete 3.0 as well.

> 2)  Though I prefer to work with Replicant-2.3, which use kernel 3.2 as
> this version has the greatest level of readiness, Pauls approach I consider
> most reasonable and conforming to all necessary requirements. Therefore
> with pleasure I will take part myself and I invite all to render assistance
> to the project.

I doesn't really have the "greatest level of readiness", it had huge
suspend/resume issues and 3.0 is even working better on that regard.

> My five cents: after a short looks (thanks to Denis for a branch in a repository)
> I was succeeded to launch Replicant-2.3 with this kernel. Find here a diff-file:

We are not going to continue supporting 2.3 for any device (including
gta04). All efforts are put towards 4.0 as for now.
The current device tree is
http://git.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=device_goldelico_gta04.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/replicant-4.0
and will be pushed to gitorious soon.

> 3)I would like to put community attention to only SD-based project. No changes
> in NAND, all work with SD.
> All above prepared as SD-based. To prepare working SD:
> ./replicant_gta04_install.sh system /dev/sdb
> into restored directory. ( change /dev/sdb to your device ).

I changed the script so that it does not reflash the NAND u-boot and
rather contains a fat32 partition with u-boot.bin, MLO, boot.scr and the
kernel. I also integrated the bootloaders build to the replicant build
platform.