[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v41

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sat Mar 10 22:42:51 CET 2012

Hi,
QtMoko v41 for your Phoenux is now ready for download [1].

List of changes since v40:

  * gsm-voice-routing has highest -20 priority
  * gsm-voice-routing gained led indicators
  * gsm-voice-routing walkie talkie algorithm was improved
  * Disabled UMTS on GTA04 to workaround disconnect problem
  * Low level modem LED indicators
  * Added support for oFono telephony backend
  * NAND images
  * Wifi is manually turned on when running from devtmpfs
  * Removed udev from init again (using devtmps for fast boot)
  * GTA04 kernel is built with nodebug options
  * RED led is turned off when QtMoko starts
  * Build without unnecessary tools (Yann Dirson)
  * Disable forced Qt rebuilds (Yann Dirson)
  * NeronGPS compiles on 64bit (Yann Dirson)
  * Fixes in translations (Yann Dirson)
  * Newer v4l headers (Yann Dirson)
  * fixed black screen in settings for locked mode
  * /media/card is now FAT on /dev/mmcblk0p3
  * better description for ringtones settings icon

The main work was still on telephony, because it's not yet perfect.

I am now using walkie talkie echo reduction. While you are speaking/listening
the playback/recording is now completely suppressed - so theoretically there
should be no echo at all.

The voice routing program has now diagnostics on AUX led. When the program
starts it starts slow blinking RED/GREEN until it successfully reads from UMTS
sound card. Then it signals RED when walkie talkie algorithm thinks that you
are speaking and GREEN when listening.

Similar diagnostics is added to modem drivers (for both oFono and QtMoko's).
When the modem notifies new call it starts blinking GREEN on POWER led. The
blinking works also in suspend and stops when you check missed calls.

I was trying to address the problem when modem disconnects on USB [2].
Previous fix that was trying to reopen modem tty after few seconds did not work
for some reason. I can see that it opens the tty (and also lsof shows it's
open), but there were no data coming. So i tried my theory that it disconnects
only on UMTS. Now i am sending AT_OPSYS=0,2 on modem init. It would be nice if
you could try it and report if you still see modem usb disconnects. If this
wont work we need to find another way how to fix this.

Nikolaus: do you have any info how modem firmware upgrading works? Is any
special hardware required?

Since this release you can use oFono for telephony. It was done in less then 9
days. So if you don't like funky Qtopia AT commands you can use oFono ;-) or
FSO. All of them are now supported. To use ofono you need to do:

	update-rc.d udev defaults
	apt-get update
	apt-get install ofono

Now edit /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env and change QTOPIA_PHONE=oFono
You can also set it to Fso or anytime back to AT (it's case sensitive). Btw
oFono can be now used only for calls. I havent managed to get SMS working yet.

You can now also quite easily install QtMoko to NAND:

1/ boot from SD card
2/ download qtmoko-debian-gta04-v41.jffs2 and uImage-for-jffs2-v41.bin
3/ apt-get install mtd-utils
4/ flash it to NAND:

	flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
	nandwrite -p /dev/mtd3 uImage-for-jffs2-v41.bin

	flash_eraseall /dev/mtd4
	nandwrite -p /dev/mtd4 qtmoko-debian-gta04-v41.jffs2

For me NAND is much much faster then SD card. It boots in 40s without any
optimizations. Even telephony is lightning fast compared to SD - taking and
hanging calls is immediate. It can be because i have class 2 SD card with big
rootfs now...

Last thing is updated kernel (latest NeilBrown's). It boots faster, wakes in
1s and is generally much faster.

It would be nice if we could make telephony rock stable. I am now using GTA04
for about month as my main phone. It's usable, but far from perfect. The main
problem was/is? the USB disconnects - i sometimes get to the state where i
cant dial/receive call and need reboot.

So enjoy and report bugs or success.

Regards

Radek