[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v41

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Mar 11 18:08:44 CET 2012

Am 10.03.2012 um 22:42 schrieb Radek Polak:

> You can now also quite easily install QtMoko to NAND:

I am almost finished with a general method of flashing NAND (for different
OS variants). And in a way that the device can boot from SD if one
is inserted or the user chooses through the boot menu.

One key problem are the boot arguments... Currently they are automatically
initialized by the boot.scr to search the rootfs as jffs2 in NAND if the kernel
was found on NAND, and ext3 if it comes from SD.

But I have no idea how to let the user choose to use an UBIFS. Formatting
NAND correctly is not the problem but telling it the Kernel (without serial
access to the U-Boot console). The easiest way appears to modify the boot.scr
and make U-Boot rewrite the environment (once).

I have also experimented with a makesd script running on the GTA04 and
it should work - if the important files for the FAT partition are available in /boot

> 1/ boot from SD card
> 2/ download qtmoko-debian-gta04-v41.jffs2 and uImage-for-jffs2-v41.bin
> 3/ apt-get install mtd-utils
> 4/ flash it to NAND:
>
> 	flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
> 	nandwrite -p /dev/mtd3 uImage-for-jffs2-v41.bin
>
> 	flash_eraseall /dev/mtd4
> 	nandwrite -p /dev/mtd4 qtmoko-debian-gta04-v41.jffs2

This should work with my new u-boot setup.

> For me NAND is much much faster then SD card. It boots in 40s without any
> optimizations. Even telephony is lightning fast compared to SD - taking and
> hanging calls is immediate. It can be because i have class 2 SD card with big
> rootfs now...

Most likely. My impression is that a 8GB Class 10 card is faster than NAND.