[Gta04-owner] 2.5 mm audio jack compatibility

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Fri Aug 31 00:16:56 CEST 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 23:42:49 +0200 Orest Tarasiuk <orest.tarasiuk at tum.de>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm planning to buy a headset for the GTA04 (which I'm currently awaiting) and would love it to also
> work with my Freerunner. I'm considering a Nokia compatible headset (earpieces + mic). I'm not sure
> if I correctly understand this message [1] -- is the FR audio jack *not* compatible with the Nokia
> layout? How about the GTA04?

Sorry.  The headset sockets on GTA02 (Freerunner) and GTA04 are different.
You cannot use the one headset in both.

GTA04 follows the Noika 'standard' which seems to be the more broadly
accepted ... before everybody seemed to go 3.5mm.
The GTA02 follows the motorola standard which didn't win.

The GTA02 has Mic at the tip and earth on shield, with L and R on the two
rings.
The GTA02 has Mic on the shield, earth on the first rings, and L and R on the
second ring and the tip.

So they are completely incompatible.

But the Nokia compatible head set (which is what I bought) definitely works
on the GTA04 - though my Mic doesn't seem very clear ... don't know why yet.

NeilBrown