[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v43

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Apr 2 15:48:58 CEST 2012

Hi,
QtMoko v43 is now ready for download[1] and awaits your testing.

Changes from previous version:

  * speex echo cancellation
  * higher volumes for gsmearpiece state
  * voice routing now correctly handles SIGTERM/SIGINT
  * temporary logging goes to ramdisk
  * fixed mac address of usb0 to make network-manager happy
  * if modem uart stops working, restart QtMoko
  * using udev again for fixed modem uart device node
  * bluetooth now works out of the box
  * using .asoundrc for A2DP configuration
  * move away .asoundrc before starting voice routing program
  * added evopedia application (Mossroy)
  * shutdown dialog has option to show bootmenu
  * fixed and cleaned up battery and ac on gta04

The most important change is speex echo cancellation. You can now finally make
phone calls with good sound volume without being annoying for the other side
with echo.

I am now using GTA04 as my only phone for months. This was the most annoying
problem and i think GTA04 is now quite usable phone. In some aspects GTA04 is
now even better Freerunner - e.g. when you answer call you can immediately
start speaking and you immediately hear the other side.

As for other changes - temporary logging now mounts tmpfs (ramdisk) to
/var/log so that it does not wear off your NAND/SD card. Permanent logging is
not affected and goes to disk.

USB networking MAC address is now fixed - so that you can configure it with
network manager.

It seems there is still problem with modem USB enumeration. It's very rare
with 3G disabled. I had it once in two weeks. I have now added ugly patch [2]
for this release that restarts QtMoko when this happens.

Since this release bluetooth is working out of the box. But please make sure
you permanently set the speed to 3000000 as described here [3]. Otherwise the
phone might not boot (not tested).

You should be now able to use A2DP bluetooth headset and it should no more
screw voice in gsm calls.

You can also select/deselect bootmenu from shutdown dialog. By default the
bootmenu is disabled.

You can also now start using suspend intervals for battery/ac. The code for
detecting charger is cleaned up and working.

You can also try to check if the problem with forgetting time works when you
remove /opt/qtmoko/bin/atd.

Btw here is current QtMoko status on GTA04:

DateTime/Alarm - not finished
X11 support - works
Battery - works
SMS - works
Phone calls - work, ussd messages need fix encoding, modem usb reenumerates
sometimes
GPRS - gui missing, from cmdline should work
GPS - works (both in NeronGPS and Navit)
Bluetooth - works, gsm headset not tested yet
Wifi - works
USB networking - works
Email - works
Multimedia - qmplayer can play mp3/fullscreen videos
Translations - 9 languages

Last good news - we have now evopedia ported to qtmoko[4] thanks to Mossroy.
It's nice offline wikipedia reader, you should try it.

Regards

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/
[2]