[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] New version letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1 available

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Feb 18 20:40:52 CET 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:30:10 +0100

> Hi Tony,
>
> > Am 18.02.2020 um 15:06 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com>:
> >
> > * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> [200218 05:42]:
> >> Hi Tony,

> >> No. I have explained the reasons.
> >
> > Sorry this rebuilding of git trees does not work for me for Linux
> > kernel driver development.
>
> Can you please explain, since it seems I still have not yet understood
> your problem and how a "standard way" would be better.
>
> > It's too much of a pain for me already and I only have two sets of
> > patches so far (for ddk 1.9 and ddk 1.17).
>
> So what is the pain?
>
> In my understanding it suffices to git checkout letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1
> and add new commits to it. And let me know if you have new ones. Then I
> can cherry-pick them into the feature branches (like I have done this
> time).
>
> If you want to take patches from letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc2 just cherry-pick
> them or decide to rebase.

hmm, I can understand the point here. Cherry-picking and comparing what is new
is more cumbersome than just merging. There are some things different here
compared to what happens in letux trees. So if something was good in letux it
does not necessarily mean that it is good here.
- here more people work more intensively on a single, quite big topic.
- on letux we had often one person per topic,
- on letux we have many branches which are in upstream process and there
  things are rebased anyways to work in maintainers/reviewers comments and
  have a topic-v(x+1) branch aftervards
  or stalled because things seem not to or too hard to be upstreamable
- many things happend and were upstreamed before this rebasing scripts
  were in place
- many things in letux branches now can simply be developed independently
  of other letux stuff

So I think it is a good time to recheck the workflow for this different
situation. And please do not stop working together because you have different
opinions about git.

I guess it is a good chance to learn a lot. Hmm, what about
rebasing the pvrsrvkm stuff only at -rc1 and merging that thing also
into letux-rcX (X >1) kernels. I guess we will have everything then and in a
simple way.

Regards,
Andreas