[Open-hard-software-event] hi

Roberto Giona roberto.giona at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 21:55:04 CEST 2011

Hi,
I report some pic about my idea
http://editor.altervista.org/private/drone1.jpg
http://editor.altervista.org/private/drone2.jpg
http://editor.altervista.org/private/drone3.jpg
http://editor.altervista.org/private/drone4.jpg

My scope is to build a platform to put in different craft (airplane,
hely, boat)
able to drive them all, focusing just on the algorithms to be used.
At the while there are many different project (i quote some open source
project..)
like ArduPilot (http://diydrones.com) and Paparazzi
(http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Main_Page), they use something IMU
(accelerometer+gyro)
and others times thermopile...
But all this projects use little microcontroller (pic...avr or like).
The freerunner is really near to be a proper hardware system for UAV.

With the navigation board v3, we had the gyro, the compass and some
other stuff through i2c, if there aren't issue about the bottleneck
among cpu and gyro (the main sensor in an IMU, event more important than
the accelerometer) the hardware has enough sensors to
fly.
I built a little board with a pic18f4550 (usb) that allow to choose
between the remote controller and the freerunner, in this way it's
possible to develop the software in a safe way. (if someone wants some
other information just ask)
This chose is really bad, in my opinion, usb is not enough realtime...in
the future, i'll rewrite the firmware to control it through the spi of
freerunner.
Another thing that i'll study in future is how put a xbee module
connected to the
freerunner to the 3rd serial port.

I'm following what in others project has done and works with the
unnmanned craft,
so these are my firsts steps.

There are really much to explain...(and much more that i need to
understand! ;)
if someone wants more info just ask, i'll be pleased to tell you all i
know about this
argument.

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller ha scritto:
> Hi Roberto,
>
> Am 11.10.2011 um 22:26 schrieb Roberto Giona:
>

>> Hi,
>> I've just subscribed, i own a freerunner for 3 years and i'm trying to
>> install the navigation board v3. I'm building a little drone (I'll
>> report some others info about it if someone is interested..:)
>>

> That sounds interesting. Please submit for a short presentation!
>

>> I plan to be in Munich from november, so i hope to see the next gta04
>> event! :)
>>

> You are welcome to Munich. We also have a Openmoko "Stammtisch"
> so if you stay longer, there will be nice folks to meet and discuss.

Thanks :)
>> Unfortunately i'm just a beginner yet in german...so at the while I can
>> write just in english
>>

> No problem. This event will also be a possibility to practice :)

Sure, we'll meet soon.

> Nikolaus

Roberto