[Letux-kernel] X1600 / LX16 support - here: compile issue

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 7 15:05:40 CET 2024

Hi Andreas,

> Am 07.02.2024 um 09:42 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>
> Ah,
>
>> Am 07.02.2024 um 09:07 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 08:36:58 +0100
>> "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>
>>> make V=2 CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y letux_lx16_defconfig savedefconfig uImage dtbs LOADADDR=0x80008000
>>
>> and I did a make all (after make zImage not working), I did not try uImage (which works).
>>
>> Lets hope the kernel ci bots do the same... But ci120_defconfig works also with "all".
>
> as usual the solution is simple - as soon as you know it...
>
> So I can try to reproduce with "all" and compare with other gcc versions.

Yes, I can now reproduce with "all" and gcc 6.3.0. And even with letux_ci20_defconfig.

So likely we have disabled/deconfigured something which is needed for "all" to build "its"/"itb".

arch/mips//boot/compressed/Makefile tells that this is Flattened Image Tree (.itb) image.

Here I found a good description what it is:

https://www.thegoodpenguin.co.uk/blog/u-boot-fit-image-overview/

But to be honest, I do not see any benefits for the Letux projects...

Except for the fw_getenv() issue, the U-Boot can be stable for years.
So there is no need to pack it together with kernel images which change
every week.

And for ARM we have a single uImage for all. Multiplying this with the
number of boards (each having a different U-Boot setup) we support, would
just add a lot of bytes to the download server.

Back to "all": I have not (yet?) found a way to disable this feature during
kernel build. Or a clear reason why it fails. Maybe, because we do NOT have
an initrd?