[Letux-kernel] Letux-5.16-rc8 on PinePhone (Developer edition)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Jan 9 12:37:28 CET 2022

Hi,

> Am 07.01.2022 um 22:54 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 07.01.2022 um 22:04 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>
>> Or something completely different:
>>
>> [    0.187482] sun4i-usb-phy 1c19400.phy: failed to get clock usb0_phy
>>

> I think I now understand what is going wrong.
>
> Before the offending patch, the PHY was simply initialized by u-boot
> and continued running.
>
> Now, with this patch, the USB subsystem expects that the linux kernel
> driver can initialize and provide the phy. Which fails (even before the
> patch was applied) because the usb0_phy clock has some bug.
>
> The question is what is missing or wrong there. It should have been
> fixed upstream and others should have noticed the same issue...

more analysis shows that on 5.16-rc8 the clock is initialized and
the above mentioned message is gone.

Nevertheless the usb-gadget is failing. So we likely have multiple
reasons for failure :(

Quite annoying since it means swapping of the µSD for tests instead
of just downloading through ssh or rsync.

On the other hand a simple git revert cc72570747e43335f4933a24dd74d5653639176a
makes it work again (without failed to get clock usb0_phy message).

So I tend to revert that upstream-patch in LetuxOS. Or add a hackfix
that does a /delete-property/ phys and phy-names. Just to make it
work again.