[Letux-kernel] Letux-5.16-rc8 on PinePhone (Developer edition)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jan 7 10:56:42 CET 2022

> Am 06.01.2022 um 08:44 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:55:32 +0100
>
>> works quite well, boots very fast to X11 (faster than to console login).
>>
>> But:
>> a) I can't get the usb gadget working (ifdown/up usb0 does what it should but the remote machine doesn't see it)
>
> or usb is in host mode? At least some kernels are set up like that.
> I run into something like that, connecting the pinephone to the kobo
> and to power. And I wondered why there was an additional usbX on the
> pinephone. I doubted my cable... But it was just  a sysfs switch.

Hm. How could that change between kernel versions but otherwise identical system?

I did do some manual bisect and found that letux-5.10(.0) has working usb gadget
while letux-5.10.y (=.89) fails. So a real bisect should be able to find it.

While doing these tests between letux-5.8.y and newer, none of them did have working
WiFi or charger...

BTW: USB cable must be ok since I need to plug it in to boot the device
(battery is drained) - and with older kernels I can get usb gadget. Which means
D+/D- are working and VBUS as well.

BTW2: charger reports 150mV and ca. 300mV if I remove the battery
(present-status remains "1"). If I put in the Samsung replacement battery
it shows 3.69V but "Discharging".

First conclusions:
a) my original battery seems to be too deeply discharged
b) there seems to be no trickle-charge to revitalize it
c) the driver is broken or not enabled for really charging