[Letux-kernel] Compile failure on Debian bullseye

Stefan Leichter sle85276 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 15 14:07:23 CEST 2021

Hello Nikolaus,

after the OS upgrade from Debian buster to Debian bullseye the build of letux-kernel fails with:

make -f /home/sle/letux-kernel/scripts/Makefile.build obj=scripts/dtc
   gcc -Wp,-MD,scripts/dtc/.yamltree.o.d -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -std=gnu89     -I /home/sle/letux-kernel/scripts/dtc/libfdt  -I ./scripts/dtc -c -o scripts/dtc/yamltree.o /home/sle/letux-kernel/scripts/dtc/yamltree.c
/home/sle/letux-kernel/scripts/dtc/yamltree.c:9:10: fatal error: yaml.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
     9 | #include <yaml.h>
       |          ^~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

Removing the backslash in scripts/dtc/Makefile in the line:

ifeq ($(shell sh -c 'echo "\#include <yaml.h>" | ${HOSTCC} -E - 2>/dev/null >&2 && echo yes'),)

fixes the problem for Debian bullseye, but breaks the build in Debian buster. My current assumptions is that the make utility itself behaves differently for the different OS versions (buster: GNU Make 4.2.1; bullseye: GNU Make 4.3).

Do you have any idea how to resolve the problem?

Best regards
Stefan