[Letux-kernel] jz4730

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jun 30 00:22:04 CEST 2020

On Saturday, 20 June 2020 23:08:43 CEST H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> > Am 20.06.2020 um 21:42 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
> >
> > So far, I have reviewed the CGU/clock, TCU and pinctrl functionality, made
> > some fixes to the earlier work, and it compiles fine in a branch rooted on
> > the v5.8-rc1 tag in the torvalds/linux repository.
>
> Great. Then it should likely also build fine within the Letux repo (since it
> is also based on linus/master - that is how I call it :)

You may have to remind me what I should be checking out and pulling from since
I don't remember and couldn't find it readily in my mails. I have cloned the
letux-kernel repository but the origin/master branch seems to be tracking
Linux 4.19.

I did think that since I was going to review everything, I should start with a
very recent kernel, hence the decision to choose something in torvalds/linux
instead of continuing with the origin/letux/jz4730-v2 branch in letux-kernel.

> > I'm going to try and work through the other functionality. Some things are
> > now obsolete: for example, the GPIO driver is now incorporated into
> > pinctrl. There will also be a need to fix up the device tree files, with
> > jz4730.dtsi probably being in fairly good shape, but with
> > mipsbook_400.dts likely to need a bit more work.
> >
> > I'm also aiming to try and incorporate my recently acquired knowledge
> > about HDMI and the LCD controller to make a recent kernel work in these
> > respects on the CI20. Hopefully, I will make some progress there as well.
>
> As soon as you have something to pick as letux/jz4730-v4 for the Letux tree,
> please let me know.

Unfortunately, I haven't spent any more time on the JZ4730 effort in the last
few available days for potentially doing anything. As communicated in other
messages, I did update and test recent Linux kernel code in order to try and
get the CI20 HDMI to work, but the last mysterious piece of the puzzle
(specific to Linux since it works in L4Re) needs to be found and applied.

So, I am sorry not to have made any progress as such, but I thought that I
should communicate an intent to resume the review of the JZ4730 code when time
and energy permit.

Paul