[Letux-kernel] v5.8-rc1 woes...

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jun 16 17:29:51 CEST 2020

> Am 16.06.2020 um 15:52 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 16.06.2020 um 14:39 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>
>> MODPOST Module.symvers - due to: modules.order vmlinux.symvers
>> /bin/sh: line 1: 45373 Done                    sed 's/ko$/o/' modules.order
>>    45374 Segmentation fault: 11  | scripts/mod/modpost -a -o Module.symvers -i vmlinux.symvers -T -
>>

> scripts/mod/modpost ist an executable built from scripts/mod/modpost.c
>
> commit ac5100f5432967 did change it on June 1st...
>
> So some assumption about the host in this new code is most likely the issue.

Ok, there is also a warning never seen before:

  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o - due to: scripts/mod/modpost.c
scripts/mod/modpost.c: In function 'get_line':
scripts/mod/modpost.c:145:2: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strsep' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  return strsep(stringp, "\n");
  ^
scripts/mod/modpost.c:145:2: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast

So my host_cc isn't finding strsep() in string.h (although it is there - but guarded by some strange macros and #if).
It could be solvable without touching the kernel tree by adding some export CFLAGS to my compile driver script.

But it was easier to inline what strsep() is doing.