[Letux-kernel] v5.8-rc1 woes...

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jun 16 14:39:15 CEST 2020

Well,
I now have the third compiler issue since updating to v5.8-rc1 and no idea what it is about:

  MODPOST Module.symvers - due to: modules.order vmlinux.symvers
/bin/sh: line 1: 45373 Done                    sed 's/ko$/o/' modules.order
     45374 Segmentation fault: 11  | scripts/mod/modpost -a -o Module.symvers -i vmlinux.symvers -T -

The first one was that the Makefile makes more and more assumptions about the build system: that pkgconfig exists and can find libyaml.
The second one was that now HOST_LD must understand "--version" (which is not necessarily the case).
And this is now the third one between me and testing the new Linux release. Not to talk about any improvements or submitting something upstream.

So I get the impression that Linux is becoming the new "Borg"... It is getting more and more difficult to build it on a non-Linux machine with cross-compilers. But compiling Letux Kernels on an ARM processor is much slower than cross-compiling.

Otherwise there was only a small number of API changes and fortunately most were easy to fix. The only difficult thing is the jz4730 (Letux 400) support which I had to disable for now.

</rant>

Fortunately -rc1 releases are only every 3 months.