[Letux-kernel] LetuxOS for PinePhone

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jul 3 21:10:32 CEST 2020

Hi,
I was able to spend half a day to fix several issues and now the latest letux-5.6.y
and letux-5.7.y kernels are working again on the PinePhone. And even letux-5.8-rc3
boots.

Working is:
* boot
* Display with backlight
* heartbeat LED
* iio sensors (accelerometer, gyro, light)
* /dev/input/touchscreen and /dev/input/accel
* vibra (/dev/input/rumble) - so we can play MokoMaze :)
* WiFi
* USB-C port for charging (not sure if reliable) and ethernet gadget

It appears that not working is:
* Sound (aplay -L is empty)
* WWAN and telephone module
  (maybe I have to configure something or it needs to be powered on)
* Bluetooth (on 5.6 it says it can't find the firmware - maybe I just
  haven't installed it correctly and on 5.7 it does not respond to anything)
* power management / suspend
* detection of USB-C cable unplugging by usb stack
* battery backup RTC

Although v5.6 is EOL I will force build an update so that there will be
soon prebuilt binaries for or makesd tool.

To summarize my impressions, this is what we always have dreamed of as a
successor of the GTA04. Doing coding on bootloader, kernel or user-space
level feels almost familiar (including that private trees work much better
than pure kernel.org). But also no special tricks by vendors who want to
lock us out.

It's just too bad *we* haven't been able to get to where PinePhone is
from hardware side. Anyways, PinePhone deserves our respect and support.

BTW: it is not more difficult to get QtMoko or Replicant ported to
the GTA04 or PinePhone. It could even be possible to use the same
rootfs image and just have different kernels...

So if you own a PinePhone, please help to make LetuxOS on PinePhone
better.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus

[project]: https://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/