[Letux-kernel] JZ4730 kernel support

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 18 19:59:06 CEST 2019

Hi Paul,

> Am 15.10.2019 um 18:13 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Tuesday 15. October 2019 09.57.05 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> Thanks! I have applied it and it compiles with the letux_defconfig. So I
>> will include it in the next -rc build.
>>
>> One tiny note: would be good if there is a signed-off, which is a
>> requirement for upstreaming.
>
> I'll specify the --signoff option to git format-patch this time.

Or you can use git commit -sm 'message'

>> I have also scanned the source tree for '#if 0' and there is one in
>> arch/mips/jz4740/time.c
>
> So, I had to take a look at the JZ4740 documentation and my modifications to
> the Fiasco microkernel to remind myself of how the JZ4730 does things. There
> are a few differences that require the code to be changed rather than
> parameterised, and I suspected that there would be other places where similar
> corresponding changes need to be made.
>
> Sure enough, I found the drivers/clk/ingenic/tcu.c file containing the timer
> control functions. Due to the differences in the JZ4730, I ended up having to
> add separate register definitions in a new file:
>
> include/linux/mfd/ingenic-tcu-jz4730.h

Good!

> The old jz4730_timer.h header file might conceivably be eliminated at some
> point given that the above clock driver code and definitions do largely the
> same thing. This would affect the arch/mips/jz4740/timer.c file, of course.
>
> There should still be places where the timer interrupts are handled, but I
> didn't find these just now when quickly searching for possible locations.
>
> [...]

Ok, that needs more work.

>> Well, I should definitively find time to set up a testing environment...
>> Now as I have achieved a breakthrough with OMAP-PVR/SGX, I hope I can
>> reprioritize some things.
>
> I read the remarks about PowerVR and saw the article you referenced where
> someone had managed to configure their OMAP-based system to use the drivers
> again, so I guess there is hope for this.

I now have it running on beaglebone black (am335x) and pyra (omap5) and
almost on GTA04 (omap3). The latter successfully loads the firmware to
the SGX but fails with a memory mapping problem.

> Not that this affects the Minibook
> directly, though. ;-)

Well, it negatively affects this project by taking away time :)

> P.S. The cumulative patch (including the previous patches) has been attached,
> with signed-off, to this message.<patch-48beba89-2.diff>

Thanks! unfortunately I can't apply it... On which commit hash did you base it on?