[Letux-kernel] MIPS: bug: gettimeofday syscall broken on CI20 board

Vincenzo Frascino vincenzo.frascino at arm.com
Thu Nov 28 15:01:01 CET 2019

>> Am 28.11.2019 um 14:29 schrieb Maarten ter Huurne <maarten at treewalker.org>:
>>
>> On Thursday, 28 November 2019 13:33:17 CET H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>> Hi Vincenzo,

>>> Yes, that is what I have assumed what happens. How do these libs go
>>> into an existing and working root-file-system with Debian Stretch?
>>
>> I'm a novice when it comes to vDSO, so someone please correct me if I'm
>> wrong.
>>
>> From what I read vDSO is a library in the sense that it exports ELF
>> symbols that applications and other libraries (libc in particular) can
>> use, but it is not a file on disk.
>
> Ah, ok. This would mean that the libc providing the gettimeofday()
> should be able to find out a modified changed vdso_data format by
> inspecting these ELF symbols.

I agree with Maarten here. There is a discovery mechanism in the libc based on
AT_SYSINFO_EHDR. This contains the address at which the vdso library is mapped
by the kernel to the userspace process.

>> As such, which rootfs you use shouldn't matter, since the vDSO is not in
>> the rootfs. Instead, it is contained in the kernel image. Searching for
>> "linux-vdso.so.1" on packages.debian.org indeed returns no hits.
>>
>> There is a check in arch/mips/vdso/Makefile that disables vDSO on MIPS
>> when building the kernel with binutils < 2.25. I don't know if that is
>> in any way related to this issue.
>
> What still does not fit into the picture is the errno = 1 i.e. EPERM.
> Maybe I have to study the libc code that tries to read the ELF symbols
> you have mentioned. It may fail for unknown reasons.

This is what I was going to suggest next. It might be that something is not
working there.

Let us know your findings.

--
Regards,