[Letux-kernel] found something interesting: dt_to_config

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 7 18:04:43 CET 2019

Hi,

> Am 07.01.2019 um 17:02 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> something I just stumbled upon:
>
> scripts/dtc/dt_to_config
>
> It can generate kernel config fragments to support devices with a given
> devicetree.

Nice! It probably looks for the needed .compatible strings and drivers
that support it.

> That brings up the following idea:
> reduce letux_defconfig
> by using make savedefconfig
>
> generate for each device to be supported a config fragment using mentioned tool.
> concatenate that and filter duplicates ( cat configs | sort | uniq )
>
> combine that with the (probably reduced by hw-specific stuff) defconfig mentioned above.
>
> just some ideas. maybe these ideas might be helpful.

Intersting. Yes, this process seems to be able to ensure that all required
device drivers are configured.

My compile driver would already has all required info: it knows the list of relevant .dts files for all supported devices.

The only thing we have to check how this process handles extra configs and CONFIG=y vs. CONFIG=m.

And there might be a problem if there are two alternative drivers that can support
the same chip. This process can't choose either one.

So maybe it should not automatically generate a new letux_defconfig but could
be used every now and then for verification.

BR and thanks,