[Letux-kernel] Raspi3B+ support

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sat Jan 5 19:48:14 CET 2019

Hi,

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 08:21:40 +0100

> Hi Andreas,
>
> > Am 04.01.2019 um 20:27 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 14:45:47 +0100
> > "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> with help and suggestions from Mark, I finally managed
> >> to get our Letux kernel compile and boot on the Raspi3B+.
> >>
> > Do you add -@ to DTC_FLAGS to make handling dtb overlays easier?
>
> You mean something like:
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/meta-beagleboard/blob/master/common-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-mainline-3.8/not-capebus/0021-OF-Compile-Device-Tree-sources-with-resolve-option.patch

yes.

> No, since mainline kernel seems not to build or need any overlays
> for RasPi and I am not (yet) aiming at shield/hat/capes. Just a "PC"
> like setup (monitor, keyboard, LAN).

Hmm, for a PC-like setup I would choose a standard debian. For a
RasPi with e.g. touchscreen hat I would be happy to just use a letux
system. And remember, someone presented a raspi phone at Fosdem in that
restaurant.

The bottom line of the discussion about that on LKML is that enabling
symbols for all dtb files is not wanted but to enable it on request for
individual files. You can set flags per file.

The usually used bootloader configs for these shield/hat capable boards
look in directories for overlays. So maybe it would be a good idea to
enable it so that people simply can copy in their overlays from other
sources into a letux system without touching the kernel. Well
to some extent, overlays are also working without symbols.