[Letux-kernel] Comparison PinePhone to Librem 5

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Dec 23 08:25:02 CET 2019

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 16:06:04 +0100

[...]
> > And what is power consumption for just displaying something with  slow
> > changes. On gta04 my voltage display script shows around 200mA in an
> > rxvt. What are the values for other devices?
>
> Well, there are rumours that the Librem 5 has a standby time of 1 hour.
> With a 3000 mAh battery this would mean unbelievable 3A... So I more
> think the rumours are wrong.
>
> Even the pyra only draws ca. 800 mA with display and keyboard backlight
> fully on and in idle. Really running code may drive it up to 1.5 - 2A.

Well, the question behind is what can I use tomorrow at my bicycle?
- It should work in sunshine at least in polar regions (so with 35 C)
  without overheating.
- Average current should be low enough se that I can charge it with my
  hub dynamo. I do not want to carry a LIon brick with me (many other
  touring cyclists today do)

If I have some powerful SoC for some power-demanding tasks,
fine but it is a pity that the general power consumption rises.

And then you need the powerful stuff not for technical valid reasons
but just for participation.

So what are the values for displaying something readable on the display
Kobo/Tolino: 3mA suspend, 20mA idle (values from vendor fuel gauge code)
Ipaq h2200: 50-90mA (value from memory)
GTA04: 200mA
Pyra(Phone?): ?
PinePhone: ?
Librem 5: ?

So is the future black and white and I should tie the kobo to my bike
and have another more powerful device for occasional use?

BTW: What about putting the google/android stuff in jails which by be
visited by vnc from your google-free (or too old) phone?