[Letux-kernel] AESS / Audio Driver for Pyra

Michael Mrozek EvilDragon at openpandora.org
Mon Oct 29 12:44:14 CET 2018

Hi,

AESS / Audio is one of the biggest remaining issues we have on the Pyra.
Everything else seems to work good enough for a start now, but missing audio on
a gaming handheld is a bit annoying :)

With some kernel version, speaker output stopped completely, but Nikolaus is
currently looking into what changed with each kernel version and when exactly it
stopped working to get this to work again, at least.

This would make audio work again, but it would still have the following issues:

* Weird setup of sound devices: You would expect that the system would provide
different audio outputs (speakers, headset) to the Linux system, but AFAIK, for
some weird reason, there's a 4-channel device where the headset is channel 1 and
2 and the speakers are channel 3 and 4. This should be fixed, so that Pulseaudio
shows different outputs (like on normal Linux systems) so you can move around
your streams where you want them to have.

* AESS... well, not mandatory for a first release, but in the future, it should
work, as software mixing just unnecessarily needs CPU power.

@Marek: I know you've been working on this, question is: Are you still doing
something here?
Or have you given up for now?

@All:
If no one wants to work on that (or CAN work on that), I'm thinking of hiring a
team that could do this in fulltime.
Nikolaus pointed me to these guys:
https://bootlin.com/engineering/technical-support-and-consulting/

Does anyone have experience with them or have any other reliable freelancers by
hand which I could hire for that.

Geez, I didn't think the TWL6040 would be SO hard to get to work properly...

Thanks in advance :)

--
Greetings,

Michael Mrozek