[Letux-kernel] compile problems

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Jul 22 18:08:06 CEST 2018

> Am 22.07.2018 um 16:09 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 13:24:48 +0200
>
>>> Am 22.07.2018 um 12:30 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to test the newest letux-4.18-rc5-kernel.
>>> I came to the following problem:
>>>
>>> CC [M]  sound/soc/omap/omap-twl4030.o
>>> ../sound/soc/omap/omap-twl4030.c: In function ‘omap_twl4030_init’:
>>> ../sound/soc/omap/omap-twl4030.c:210:23: error: passing argument 1 of ‘pdata->jack_init’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>>>     pdata->jack_init(rtd->card))
>>>                      ^~~
>>> ../sound/soc/omap/omap-twl4030.c:210:23: note: expected ‘struct snd_soc_codec *’ but argument is of type ‘struct snd_soc_card *’
>>> ../sound/soc/omap/omap-twl4030.c:211:21: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>>>  priv->jack_remove = pdata->jack_remove;
>>>                    ^
>>> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
>>
>> looks as if my compiler treats it as a warning. Needs to be fixed of course.
>> 4.18 has removed all snd_soc_card and replaced by snd_soc_codec and I have tried
>> to include this in our private patches, but I may have missed one location.
>> Maybe just the function declaration for pdata->jack_init.
>
> hmm, jack detection seems to come from this odd-looking patch:
> 085618a8200f4
>
> some merge accidents probably. The jack detection should go into a
> single patch alltogether.

Indeed. Well, it came from automatically splitting/grouping
patches from the old letux kernel to the permanently rebased
one.

This was done by doing a git blame on all relevant files, then
sorting the commit points (i.e. where something did change)
and try to reconstruct the original patches. This sometimes
needed to go back from latest linux back to before 3.14 and
then work forward again. Unfortunately it was not always
possible to identify the correct commit so that the merge
commit was taken. Therefore we have some patches which pretend
to be Linux releases...

Anyways this is one of the branches that have not yet been
cleaned up:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/twl4030

Clean up means:
* find out which stuff is really needed
* massage the patches until they only add new things and never remove and add something else
* try to identify or keep the original commit message/author/date etc.

Volunteers welcome :)

For the moment, I will just add another patch that fixed the
snd_soc_codec issue that was indeed introduced by rebase on 4.18-rc1.

Most likely there shouldn't be a omap_tw4030_pdata header file
any more...

BR and thanks for finding the conflicting patch,