[Letux-kernel] New Letux Kernel releases

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 19 07:32:08 CEST 2018

Hi Josua,
sorry for the delayed answer.

> Am 16.07.2018 um 20:19 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer at jm0.eu>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> I finally got around to testing that 4.17.3+ build of yours and these
> are the things I noticed:

fine!

> modules.tgz has many files outside of /lib/modules

yes. We have some /etc and /root files in the kernel tree
which regularily need an update to exactly match the specific
kernel variant. Therefore the easiest thing was to pack them
with the modules which have the same constraint.

But we could think about splitting into modules.tgz and root.tgz

> linux-image_*.deb has many files outside of /lib/modules and /boot

it is the same.

> linux-image_*.deb does not contain the uImage

Oops. But that should be included... I have to check the build scripts.

> With the previous stable 4.16 as fetched by makesd I had occasional
> unexpected shutdown after leaving the phone lying around idle while
> attached to the charger. And every time the battery was empty afterwards :(
> I haven't seen this on 4.17 yet after several hours so I guess that is a
> good sign!
>
> WiFi sometimes fails to authenticate (open network) and requires one
> ifdown-ifup cycle:
> [  411.405700] wlan0: authenticate with <censored>
> [  411.418884] wlan0: send auth to <censored> (try 1/3)
> [  411.555633] wlan0: send auth to <censored> (try 2/3)
> [  411.705718] wlan0: send auth to <censored> (try 3/3)
> [  411.815734] wlan0: authentication with <censored> timed out
> then on next ifup after ifdown:
> [  488.789276] wlan0: authenticate with <censored>
> [  488.801879] wlan0: send auth to <censored> (try 1/3)
> [  488.830963] wlan0: authenticated
> [  488.835693] wlan0: associate with <censored> (try 1/3)
> [  488.846221] wlan0: RX AssocResp from <censored> (capab=0x421 status=0
> aid=1)
> [  488.872192] wlcore: Association completed.
> [  488.881774] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
> [  488.889678] wlan0: associated
> I also have seen this with 4.16 I believe.

That is something I have no idea about...

> I don't understand the output of the charger script:
> Which battery is which, and why do they all have different charge levels?
>
> TWL4030 Main Battery

this is the first entry which reads the ADCs for voltage and current
and has a built-in formula in the script

> volt: 3777mV
> current: 918mA
> fuel level: ca. 50%
> temp: 27°C
> type: 1mV <-- Is this a type? Really?

Yes, it is the "battery type" ADC input. Which is not used on the GTA04
design, but other hardware. It could be used to measure a resistor built
into the battery to make the software know about small and big batteries.

> Battery /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery

this is the fuel gauge (bq27000) inside the battery, i.e. quite precise

> present: 1
> technology: Li-ion
> capacity: 10%
> status: Charging
>
> Battery /sys/class/power_supply/gta04-battery

this is our generic-adc-battery driver which tries to estimate the battery
fuel level like the formula in the script. But they differ for two reasons:
1. there is noise on the ADC signals so they may measure different voltage
2. the formula used by the generic-adc-battery driver is questionable

> present:
> technology: Li-ion
> capacity: 43%
> status: Charging
>
> And finally a little note on makesd running on stretch:
> I noticed that /root is assigned the group dialout, which breaks ssh
> .ssh/authorized_keys.

Ok! There may be some flag missing for tar.

> Also maybe not use http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian but rather
> http://httpredir.debian.org/debian ?
> Or maybe just ftp.debian.org - is that url load-balanced by dns?

I'll check - maybe this load balancing is newer than when we started
to have makesd :)

Thanks for testing and reviewing!