[Letux-kernel] please revert commit ce8556cca6 "kbuild: verify that $DEPMOD is installed" introduced in v4.18.4.

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Aug 22 20:53:46 CEST 2018

This patch requires that /sbin/depmod is installed and installable on
the build host.

But not all build hosts for cross compiling Linux are Linux systems
and are able to provide a working port of depmod, especially at the
file patch /sbin/depmod.

I use, for example, a Darwin system to cross compile Linux and I run
depmod -a on the embedded system once, after installing a new Linux
kernel there.

I have no problem with seeing a warning, but aborting the build process
is IMHO a bad idea since the previous behaviour didn't harm many people
as far as I see. Probably 99% of people compiling Linux kernels do that
on Linux and 99% of those have depmod installed for optimal operation of
their build host. So IMHO printing the warning is good enough.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus Schaller