[Letux-kernel] AESS

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Aug 2 11:51:34 CEST 2018

Hi,
while Marek is trying to get the firmware properly built and/or loaded,
I have started to rebase the aess patch set on top of 4.18.

The key issue and task is to get rid of all sound_soc_platform
references and replace by sound_soc_component.

To make it a little more clear which files we touch, I have rearranged
and reworded the patch set so that we can easily identify the subsystem.
And patches affecting more than one are split up into two patches now.

So basically, there are three groups of patches:

a) for sound/soc - they mainly export internal functions or add new helper functions
   I am not sure if these patches are still needed and/or good

b) sound/soc/omap - here we add an mcasp driver, make mcbsp export functions and
   the main change is to add firmware download to abe-twl6040.

c) sound/soc/omap/aess - this is the real aess driver

The next steps are:

1. fix compile issues in sound/soc/core

2. upstream abe-twl6040 driver has already been converted to sound_soc_component,
   so I have to make sure that patching in the firmware loader code does not undo
   something important...

3. go through the aess code and convert to sound_soc_component
   This may make some patches of a) no longer needed. Some of them might need
   additional modifications.

The current work is here:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work-aess

I plan to add patches for each step.