[Letux-kernel] Letux kernel 4.13

Linux-SWAT openpandora at free.fr
Fri Sep 8 18:07:15 CEST 2017

Le 2017-09-08 17:05, H. Nikolaus Schaller a écrit :
> Well, the official 3.2 kernel is mature and very robust so it is
> wise to apply the "never touch a running system" rule.
>
> On the other hand a 4.13 kernel has a lot of interesting new features.
> And there are approx. 9 months left over until there will be no
> maintainance
> by official Linux any more:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

As long as the pnd ecosystem isn't (too much) broken, it's now or never.
Also the Pyra is coming.

> I think here on this (kernel related) list there are some OpenPandora
> owners which would be enough to test a little more and talk about it :)

There's plenty of hardcore users, but non-technical, that never read
this mailing list as it's too technical.
The kind of user that find every bug the devs put under the carpet.
Don't miss them, pin a thread on the boards.

>> Does your kernel needs u-boot to be updated ?
>
> No. Can boot from SD card in left slot.
>
>> Does it run the command line ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it "run" X ?
>
> Yes. It can even run PyraOS (aka Debian 9 + extensions).

Depending on the modules folder size, maybe including it as an alternate
kernel in the Zaxxon firmware image could be a starting point ?

>> What is known to be broken ?
>
> Nubs. Sound. I am not sure about Bluetooth and TV-Out.
> And power management may be weaker.
>
> The first two are of course very big blocking points.
>
> And recently there is a regression for Display & WiFi.
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

At least ppl are not forced to wire a serial cable :^) .