[Letux-kernel] Subtle issue with U-Boot and kernel and SD card UUIDs

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue May 23 16:10:56 CEST 2017

Hi Matthijs

> Am 23.05.2017 um 16:00 schrieb Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin at gmail.com>:
>
> On 23 May 2017 at 15:54, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> Hm. No, I don't know that. Otherwise I would not ask...
>
> Did you announce that fix to the greater public (so that I have a chance to get known to it)?
> Or do you expect me to track your private git repo for changes?
>
> I pointed you to these patches in the "faster mmc/sd" thread not long ago:

Ah, very you much overestimate how good my memories are :)

It is more a worn out NAND flash without ECC and CRC... Writing is also much
slower than reading out :)

> On 27 March 2017 at 07:20, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> > > Am 27.03.2017 um 04:18 schrieb Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin at gmail.com>:
> > > I just noticed that your kernel called eMMC "mmc0" instead of "mmc1", that's confusing as hell. Please apply:
> > > https://github.com/mvduin/linux/tree/patch/of-alias
> >
> > Has this been suggested upstream?

Well, this is a solution on kernel side and I asked if it has been suggested
upstream for a reason. The reason is that I doubt that it can easily be upstreamed
because maintainers will immediately point us to the UUID magic of U-Boot which
everyone seems to use successfully. Except us as I found with my current tests.

And since we have enough tough upstream topics I hesitate to add another one.
The goal of Letux is to come closer to upstream than go away...