[Letux-kernel] Subtle issue with U-Boot and kernel and SD card UUIDs

Matthijs van Duin matthijsvanduin at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:07:17 CEST 2017

On 23 May 2017 at 10:42, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> This is not at all wrong and should do what it is intended for: map the mmc
> device numbers from U-Boot in a way that the kernel can assign a different
> order (and it does!).

Of course you already know that can be easily fixed with two tiny patches
that are in my tree

On 23 May 2017 at 10:42, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Now how can they have the same UUID? It should be unique, shouldn't it?

When a pc-style partition table is used, PARTUUIDs don't really exist and
$DISKID-$N is used as substitute, where the disk id is extracted from the
partition table and N is the partition number.

As for why the disk id is zero for your cards I dunno. You should be able
to reset them to a random number by generating a new partition table using
fdisk.

And there, we have nice UUIDs!

You're confusing partition UUIDs (PARTUUID) with filesystem UUIDs. The
kernel only understands the former, while blkid is showing you the latter.

Matthijs